I ran across a recipe for Hoover Stew – the website said “content other than actual recipes on this site is copyrighted material” so I figure I can copy the recipe and add my own commentary.
1 16 ounce box of elbow macaroni|
2 16 ounce cans of stewed tomatoes
1 16 ounce package of hotdogs
1 16 ounce can of corn (a can of beans may be added for protein)
- Cook macaroni according to directions on box
- Slice hotdogs into very thin coins
- Open cans of tomatoes, beans and corn, but do not drain corn or tomatoes. Beans may be rinsed.
- Combine the contents of the cans and the hotdog slices in a large pot and bring to a simmer
- Break up the tomatoes into small chunks as the mixture heats
- Drain the macaroni when it is almost done. Save the cooking water to add to the pot if needed.
- Add the macaroni to the tomato mixture in the pot and continue simmering until all ingredients are thoroughly heated.
- Season as desired with salt and pepper.
- Add any reserved cooking water from the macaroni to keep it from becoming dry. Serve.
For folks who don’t remember Hoover, he was the president who brought in the great depression. If your political sentiments tend to run Republican, you can change the name to Brandon soup.